Get up and dance, by Carol Orndorff

I’m one of those “shower singers.” I sing along in the car to songs that I love and don’t want others to hear, for fear of scaring them off.  Singing creates something in my body that matches my thoughts and emotions – all of it coming together.

When I heard Elise Witt was performing at Oakhurst Baptist, I knew Liz and I had to go.  Elise has a reputation for creating singing communities. What makes her so special is the way she engages the audience to join in so that everyone comes together as one voice.

Liz and I stumbled into her a couple of years ago at a concert where she was co-performing with another musician. I can’t remember the other performer’s name, but I sure remember Elise.  Singing with Elise made Liz and me want to get up and dance.  

And so it was again.  We danced to her new song, My Salsa Garden. There was a young schoolgirl who led us, quite spontaneously.  Hopping off her father’s lap, she took her place in the aisle and started moving, totally unencumbered and beautiful. Everyone around her joined in.

I love the lyrics to one of her new songs, “A Singer.”

A singer is a Circus
A singer is an Athlete
A singer is a Master Chef
A singer is a Painter
A singer is a Small Town Beauty Salon
A singer is a Volcano
A singer is a Chameleon
A singer is a Super Hero
A singer gets out of the way to let the song come through
Let the Song come through.

I love the connection between what moves me and what we do. Elise Witt has the skill and sensibility for bringing people together - individuals with a range of voices (talents and opinions) to make something beautiful happen.  And then do it the next day with a different audience, making something else happen.


As transformational consultants, that’s what we do, too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier