Between Me and My New Car, by Nancy Chek




It may seem like a small thing to many people, but it’s a miracle that I’ve finally discovered how to get Arial to be my default font, which saves me at least three key strokes (and a heavy groan) on every new Word document. There are things that I cannot change, such as my birthday odometer clicking over another number once a year, and there are things I can--like getting someone to repair the hole in my kitchen ceiling (done) or getting rid of that bloody Cambria font (done).
I am just waking up to the number of things I put up with--either because it is “so unfair” that I have to fix it (someone side-swiped my car while it was parked at BWI so the left mirror is hanging there like a broken wrist) or because it’s so much trouble in my mind to fix it or pay to have someone else fix it.
I have been carrying 10 old paint cans in my trunk for almost a year because I don’t want to take the time to go to the junkyard.  Every time I go over a speed bump I hear them make a half-hearted attempt to escape: Ka-whunk. Face it, China White, we’re never gettin’ outta here.
The unresolved items in my physical universe serve as a reproach, letting me know, in that insistent way things have, that I may think I’m the boss of them, but thinking carries no weight in that realm.
For example, I want a new car (one reason I keep putting off fixing the limp mirror). What I’m doing instead of buying one is telling everyone how much I dislike negotiations with dealers, watching movies instead of doing research, paying for vacation courses, eating out a couple times a week, putting off taking some other financial steps that would improve my income, etc.
I sort of love this: it takes all the mystery out of why something is or isn’t happening.
And suddenly I see that in a year I’ll have finished paying off my home repairs, and I can take my friend Vin to car dealers with me so he can do the obsessing part and I can be charmingly ruthless and make the car happen. WaHOOO!


Follow Dorrier Underwood on LinkedIn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier