I Did Not Want to Run Today - by Gary Davis

It's not a decision, it is a bunch of coordinated choices. I did NOT want to run today. First I go eat pasta at lunch with CREAM SAUCE. The conversation is good and the food is amazing, but as I come home on the belt-line I notice I am only going 50 and on the side of the road.

I will nap.

But you were going to run this afternoon,

But I am so tired and I am only running a 5k. I have been so good, I deserve it, I will not eat the pasta again, just let me nap this time and I will be good.

Choice, I take the exit towards the gym.

But that exit also takes me to my house.

Choice, I go straight at Kildaire.

But I could just ride by, and I am PRETTY SURE I WILL.

Choice, I turn in.

I sit in the parking lot and listen to Hunter Thompson, in the worst throes of a pasta coma. As he describes his drug induced escapade, I drift in and out of consciousness.

I wake up, it has been 10 minutes since I parked, and I have been passed out, I should just go home.

Choice, I get my gear and go in the gym.

I am only playing though, I intend to go in and just do a steam, then go home.

Choice, I climb the stairs to the treadmills.

If I just run a mile, I can SAY I ran three times, no one knows I was supposed to run 3.1

Choice, at 1 mile, I keep running.

At 1.6, 2, 2.3, and 2.8 I have to choose to keep going.

Now I am back and I could say I chose to run today, but that would only be a tenth of the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier