Declarations Create the Future - by Gary Davis

As we again celebrate the birth of our nation, I think of how unlikely it was. By "it" I mean our nation. A bunch of men got together and declared that we are free of governments that do not allow our participation. And that all men are created equal. And that we have rights not from a king but from God. They got a guy to write it all up in a word doc, which at that time was just some big piece of paper, and then they all signed it.

And what they said was in present tense. Not the day after the war all men are equal, not we WILL be free if all goes well. No, they said WE ARE FREE, now, right now.

That is the power of a declaration. I make a declaration every year in Late June. I put out a sign that says a parade will occur in our cul de sac at 9am on July 4th.  I do not check with anyone, ask permission, call the town or the HOA. I made the sign, it is my sign and it says...



I don’t check to see if others will be there, or if we should move it to Saturday instead of Wednesday. I just say it. Here is what happens from my declaration.


I did not call the fire truck to have it lead our parade, another parent did. I did not supply streamers or tell others to dress in their red white and blue.

Sometimes if you make a declaration, others will be so enrolled in your declaration they will make it happen. When our founding fathers made their declaration, it only lived because other men, unnamed men, slept in the cold at Valley Forge and then attacked the Hessians on December 26, 1776 and won with little food or rest. If that did not happen, experts say that we would have lost the Revolutionary War, and all these kids would not be dressed in their flag’s colors. What declaration do you need to make and then who do you need to enroll in it, for it to live? If those guys could say all men are created equal in 1776, then you can say anything you can get your mouth to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier