249 Today by Gary Davis

In my younger and more vulnerable years

I always though 245 was fat. I was in college and had gained all of the freshman 15 and then some. I had been 197 as a sophomore and was 230 in high school which was big.

I had been on a diet since I was 10 years old when Dr. Brown told my mom no more carrots they have too much sugar, since doc brown I have been on rice, no rice, potatoes, steak, shakes, veggie juice and even did a stint on the diet called the crazy diet where you ate one food all day, from watermelon to cabbage.

What I have finally decided is that I know it all. I don’t need more information. It really is a function of math, calories in – calories burned = surplus or deficit. I need a deficit of 24 more pounds. So I could really say exactly how many calories and how much exercise would get me there. I might be off a bit because of the newest science, but I can tell you, I don’t have a plan for the peanut butter cracker afternoon binging.

I think the peanut butter cracker is about the perfect food, only improved when you dip the whole thing in sweet baby rays BBQ sauce. This was an accident, a delicious accident, not unlike the old you got chocolate on my peanut butter ad in the 70’s

Except instead of Reeses I invented the BBQ peanut butter cracker, salty, sweet hot, Gordon Ramsey would be pleased with the balance.

But they are about 100 calories each and I have to have at least a dozen to make it worth my time.

So my quest continues. I remember my dad used to have a nab and a Coke for lunch, no wonder he was always fit, he didn’t eat. I want a buffet every day for lunch, Indian, pizza, Chinese, Mexican, Golden Corral, salad bar from Jason’s, Coalinga pasta bar, it is just a shame there are only 7 days a week.

I have discovered that these shakes in a bottle with 25 proteins can help me not be so hungry and two of them are fewer calories than 3 peanut butter crackers.

I also have been running, from a half marathon to a 10 miler this spring, running long races forces me to be fit, and being fit burns calories, right now I a doing Sean T’s insanity videos, and they are hard. I hate exercise but I think I would hate heart disease worse.

So the quest continues. I was at 225 last in 1990, I have flirted with it, been at 235 a few times through sheer will and pain, but what if I could be 225 and it be natural.

Naturally, it seems impossible, but then, when I was 287, 249 seemed to be a bit of a stretch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier