Amore, by Jane Smith


Phil and I… mostly the “I” along with an acquiescing and a little uncomfortable Phil… are planning a trip to Tuscany in September.  This is a big deal for us… Last year’s Paris writing workshop in the French countryside, and then Barcelona was the first time I have been outside of North America. 

And it was a damn big deal for me, one I loved and will never forget. Along with having a fabulous adventure with Nancy and Doug, I figured out that I could survive even without knowing the language… and I definitely know less Italian than I do French and Spanish.  We will figure it out together, a fun idea for me.

Phil doesn’t have the survival experience and hasn’t been outside of NA.  When I asked him if he would like to go to Italy, Tuscany, he said “No, I don’t want to got to Tuscany,” with an observable edge to the answer, so much so that I originally tabled the idea.  A few days later he came back and said “If you want to go to Tuscany, we will go, and I will enjoy it with you.” Then he asked what side of the road do we drive on… The car is not something I have done in another country, so this will be both our first. 

Carol told us that only Great Britain drives on the “wrong” side of the road, that the rest of Europe doesn’t.  She spent a quick turn-around night in our guest room on Sunday night and sat down with us while the amazing race was on tv.  We got into the show a little because Bates Battaglia, a former Hurricanes player, is racing with his brother, Anthony… they call them the “hockey brothers.”  I just want to see if they win…it is taped, of course, so we have seen Bates at the arena, signing autographs.  The winners can’t tell anyone until it ends, which it does in May. Carol made a comment about driving on the road in one of the countries on the race, so I asked about Italy

We are renting a villa about 18 miles from Florence, and closer to some other smaller towns.  We are flying into Rome, driving between 2-3 hours through the countryside to get there.  Lunch on the way, in some little Italian town.  I found out that Andy Friede is going to Italy, to Umbria to stay with an “old friend who has a house there” to use it as their base, he and his new girl friend, the poet, a teacher at a college in Birmingham.  I can ask Andy all about it, and he will love to tell me… Andy loves the role of informing, of teaching.  We are working on it being sharing, not condescending or pedantic.

And Don Holzworth, former client and life long friend now, says we “must” go to Siena, his favorite.  And that the food is all fresh and magnificent and unforgettable.  He told his wife, Jennifer, a gourmet cook about whom he always exclaims, that this is the best food he has ever eaten… except for hers.  A good save from a not-always conscious husband.

The only disappointing thing was trying to work with Kasey Davis, who seemed interested and helpful at first… she sends things, I respond and then days go by with no response from her, or an automated message saying she has left for the day, to return in two days – that has happened twice!  I have, frankly, given up and taken matters into my own hands…it isn’t that complex: book flights, rent the villa, get a car.  Between now and then we can study the rest and decide how to maneuver in the country. I just wanted a good “pre-tour” that would interest and enroll me… didn’t get it, so I am doing that for myself.

Thursday night we went to buy a bicycle for Phil that he saw on Craig’s list… I’m going along with his desire to ride again, trying to get a good grip on my fear of his falling on some trail somewhere, now nodding and just saying “okay” let’s do it if you want to.  He said that to me about Italy, after all. The bike sellers in Wake Forest recommended a good Italian restaurant for us near their home, and we went there. “Il Bacio” – had a big map of Italy on the front wall, and Phil and I looked at where we are going.  “Do you know any Italian?” he said.  No – or maybe yes I do, Amore… I love you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier