Service and the chair in the corner, by Gary Davis


I wondered how this program would go, and was excited to be co-leading with Doug.

When I discovered that I would not be co-leading but would be more backup and support, I have to admit I was sad. I really wanted to lead. You know me, center of the room, all eyes on me.

But I took it on. I decided that I would be the leader even if I did not say anything. I was anything but subordinate to Doug, challenging him on what to do next and sending in ideas on scraps of paper to share, which he did share almost 100% of the time.

We had one moment when I tried to help overtly, and though the content was needed, the context was not there for them to hear me, or for me to speak loudly enough for them to hear me. It was like they did not give me a voice, me, the loudest guy you know.

So I just supported and made sure Doug was the man. I did not back off one iota but I did not speak again until Doug asked me to share something I had written to him. And in a loud strong voice I told them of my self righteousness as a way to let them see the pitfall of trying to teach others this material, just live it right, that will be hard enough.

So I thank Doug for giving me the space and will never forget my first trip to Cincie where I led a course from a chair in the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier