Playing World of Warcraft with Davis, by Nancy Dorrier

I have learned so much playing the World of Warcraft with my grandson, Davis, age 11.

Davis wants to play with us, play with our work team, 3 of whom are in Australia, so we have to coordinate times when we are all awake at the same time, so we go back and forth on email until bingo we have a time we have all agreed to.

It isn’t a time that we all wanted to play right now, right now like Davis wanted to at 8:30, now now now on a school night.

Davis said as I tucked him in and he was pouting a little, could I help him get to Tenaris, the realm where we are playing the World of Warcraft and could I help him get to be at level 25 where we are so he would be ready to play with us and I said yes, yes, yes of course and we set up a time next Sunday when I will have landed at my desk after a week of work and play travel in Atlanta. We are asking his Dad, Stan to come to play too.

He got quiet for a moment then promised that he would be able to play with the team, “I promise,” meaning that he won’t do his own thing, run around and show off, and be an individual player killing his own monsters here and there, which had happened in the past and I had wondered if an 11-year-old is capable of being on a team. All of his grades and accolades come from individual performance. It is true that he is developing his capability to compete as a team member and win on the soccer field and play his flute in the school orchestra making music as a whole. He is still however eagerly and actively or playing the car races on the Wii and wrestling with his cousins. Team member? Individual performer? Both?

He just started Karate class and bowing to your opponent at the beginning and the end of the bout. His sister, Juilia, 9, too. For the first time ever, he and Julia came out to my car and bowed to me and said welcome Nana-san, can we help you carry anything into the house? And what else can we do to make you welcomed to our house?

It was amazing and charming and wonderful. Almost like I was doing them a favor to give them the opportunity. They definitely were not helping their old pitiful grandmother who can’t fend for herself.

So now we are set up to play and to be a team. The challenge in any endeavor is to be a team, even though we know intellectually we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Our instinct is to fight and survive individually. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Left When We Leave the Room, by Nancy Dorrier

Guns, by Jane Smith

Angkor Wat in Cambodia by Nancy Dorrier